Friday, May 23, 2014

Work Done.


Part of the power equation is work done. Today my work is done. I’ve reached the final day of my Plank Center Fellowship Program here at FPL and it is most certainly bittersweet. I’m excited to fly home to see my family in Ohio, yet sad to leave this experience that has allowed me to grow beyond the walls of academia.

I have mountains of notes from the experience. As promised, I’ll provide some snapshots of what I gathered about the corporate culture here at FPL.

  • You all carry your phone and use it as your umbilical cord. Never to be shut down from what is happening in the world around you, both internally and externally.  No one wears a watch because it’s not needed—You have your phone. 
  • The amount of people who eat at their desk during lunch is incredible.  The food in the cafeteria is great, don’t get me wrong, but no one leaves the building for lunch. I suspect you secretly recharge at your desk? You do have such a beautiful setting outside, you should really try to enjoy it once in a while.
  • Meetings, meetings, and a meeting before a meeting. The time involved is quite overwhelming – I suspect it cuts into the work-life balance. I have the same struggles in academia, but I do have summer months, holidays, and breaks off to recover. I hope you take the opportunities to do the same.  
  • Collaboration is such a key component in your corporate culture.  It was hard to distinguish the organizational hierarchy without looking at chart first.  I find that speaks volumes to the culture here at FPL.  It also leads me to the last point.
  • At the end of the day, it is clear that you all do this because you love and believe in FPL. You work together well to reach the end-goals, week, season, and in many cases year after year. The positive vibe that permeates from this is contagious!

As I walk out the door today I want to say thank you to those who opened up and patiently and kindly shared your FPL life. Never having worked in the corporate world, I was genuinely excited to learn first-hand about what you do and how that work translates back to what I am teaching the next generation of students who will walk through your doors ready to take the challenge.

Work done. Energy Transferred/ Two weeks  =  A Powerful Experience



No comments:

Post a Comment